Your Nav Bar Here

12/31/2008

New Year, New You?

I've never been one for making New Year's resolutions.  I suppose it stems from the fact that I would like to always be working toward something better - better relationships, more education, fewer bad habits, new skills - all year long, rather than just sporadically at the beginning of the year.

That or I'm lazy.

In fact, this year I didn't even remember it was New Year's Eve until yesterday, when Kelli texted me and said, "what are we doing for New Year's?"  It's strange and maybe a little sad to be so busy you don't realize the biggest party night of the year is tomorrow!  That and I have a terrible cold, so my stuffy head isn't keeping up with the facts at the moment.  (I also have a relentless cough that is raping my throat.  Ouchie.)  

Now that it is actually New Year's Eve, nearly 6 pm MST, I've been thinking a bit over the past year, and it was quite a busy one.  
In 2008 I:
1. Had three different jobs
2. Met, dated, and broke up with the love-of-my-life-so-far
3. Bought the cutest house ever! (and acquired the third of three addresses in one year)
4. Bought a lawnmower, washer and dryer, and a treadmill (all things I NEVER thought about before owning a house)
5. Made my own Thanksgiving dinner, and got my first-ever full-size Christmas tree
6. Made a handful of really great friends, and
7. Became an "auntie" to Sophia Lavelle Ainge, most beautiful child on the planet!

It makes me wonder what's in store for the next 365 days...but I digress.

Back to the resolutions.  Is there a reason people have decided that the beginning of the new year is the time to get into shape, or lose 10 pounds, or quit smoking or whatever?  I understand the 'new beginning' concept, but why is it that the resolutions are always so trite, so cliché?  What would be really great if everyone could look deep inside themselves and decide to become kinder, more open-minded, more patient, more loving, more optimistic.  What a fantastic world it would be then!!

At least for a couple of weeks.  You know by February everyone's given up on their resolutions.  So have any of you resolved anything for the new year?

2 comments:

jaesi said...

In 2009 Im going to quit smoking....
oh wait I dont smoke....that was easy :)

In 2009 Im going to gain 10 lbs....oh wait I already have....that was easy :)

in 2009 Im going to become a mother...oh wait I already am...that was easy :)

easy peasy.

Joshua said...

I'm going to get my own place... or at least try. There's no way it will be as cute as yours!!!