Your Nav Bar Here

12/17/2008

Christmastime According to Tonya

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?  Hot Chocolate...I've never actually tried eggnog that I can remember, but the thought of drinking raw eggs does not make me feel happy.  I ADORE the new hot chocolate at Starbucks: salted caramel hot chocolate.  It's full of salty/sweet deliciousness.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree?  Neither - Santa sets our presents out grouped with our stockings on the couch or chair.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?  I had to search high and low for those big white Christmas lights this year to put on my house.  I prefer white lights on my house and tree, but I like them all except the plain blue ones.  How is blue Christmas-y?

4. Do you hang mistletoe?  If I could find mistletoe anywhere, you bet your bottom dollar I'd hang it!  I'd probably carry some around with me, too.

5. When do you put up your decorations?  Typically the day after Thanksgiving, but this year I was on call for work and had to stay home, so I put up the tree on Thanksgiving day.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?  Dad's glazed ham, Rayma's pumpkin roll, spiced apple cider

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?  I can never remember specific memories from my childhood.  I loved driving around on Christmas eve looking at lights, then hanging out at Grandma's with all the cousins, going ice-skating together on Christmas day, and opening our presents together.  Also our rockin' cousin Christmas party and our crazy white elephant games.

8. Have you ever seen Santa?  You betcha.  Did you know on Google maps you can track Santa's progress on Christmas Eve?  

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?  Indeed we did.  We still do, in fact.  And the past couple of years Levi has had to work on Christmas day, so we opened all our presents on Christmas eve.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?  White lights, silver, red and gold glass balls of assorted sizes, and a few sentimental ornaments like my Bawlmer pink flamingo ornament.

12. Can you ice skate?  Yes I can, but it takes me a minute to get back into the groove after a whole year without skating.  Also, the only way I know how to stop is to run into the side wall...

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?  Honestly?...no.  I was super excited about my huge doll house when I was little.  In high school I was super excited about my letterman's jacket.  In college I was mostly excited to be home with the family.  I get more excited about the gifts I give.

14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you?  Spending time with family and friends, eating amazing food, not getting stressed out, and decorating with tons of lights.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?  I'm a fan of dessert in general, I don't recall any that are only made around the holidays.  Maybe fudge or homemade toffee.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?  White elephant games at the cousin Christmas party, with everyone attempting to bring the gift that will be fought over the most.

17. What tops your tree?  A silver star

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?  Absolutely giving.  I've always LOVED the feeling of getting someone a gift you know they will just adore.  That's probably my favorite part of the holidays, is having a reason to buy fantastic gifts for everyone.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? O Holy Night, The Christmas Song, Baby it's Cold Outside, Carol of the Bells

20. Do you feel Christmas is too commercialized?  Yes.  Yes I do.  I don't understand why anyone would rather be stressed out and too busy and going into debt for Christmas  than just taking the opportunity to be with people you love and appreciating the season for what it is.  

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Reading this makes me SOOOO homesick for you. I feel like I could have answered those questions for you! Are you ever coming down? I have a guest room......and plenty of kettle corn.

Tonya said...

You are so sweet!!! I wish I could figure out a time to come down, but I don't technically have any vacation time yet. (I need to stop switching jobs, and get some actual tenure.) Perhaps in the spring? You should come up here!!